The Canal Society of Ohio, Inc. Grant Application
The Canal Society of Ohio, Inc. (CSO) seeks to solicit, receive and administer assets exclusively for charitable purposes that would most effectively assist, encourage, educate, and promote the preservation and awareness of Ohio’s canal system.
ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS FOR ORGANIZATIONS:
• Must provide services directly to the citizens of Ohio.
• Must be certified federally tax-exempt by the Internal Revenue Service as a 501(c)(3) or equivalent organization, preferably 501(c)(3).
• We prefer to see other sources of funding listed on your application rather than requesting 100% from the Canal Society of Ohio
•The applying entity should provide 5% - 10% matching funds of the amount requested
• Grants will not be considered for the following:
° A program/project that has been or will have already been completed within two months of this grant submission deadline
° A purchase that has already been made
° Organizations that only serve one religious group
° Political organizations or those whose primary purpose is to influence legislation, political view-points, or promotion of a particular candidate
° General operating funds
• All projects must be in Ohio, have a strong relationship with Ohio canal history and be capital in nature (rather than operating expenses).
• The project will be scored on how the following criteria are satisfied:
° Will the CSO Grant support preserving an actual historic canal artifact (lock or other structure)
° Will the CSO Grant directly advance education regarding canal history (markers)
° Will there be public access/use of completed project
° Will the CSO Grant be combined with additional public or private funds
° Is there time sensitivity to the project (imminent danger of losing an historic structure)
° Is there reasonable assurances that the project will be completed as promised
° Is the project consistent with the geographical diversity within the CSO’s grant-making process
° The CSO requires that suitable recognition be given to both the CSO and the Pauline Miller Request Fund
• Applications must be postmarked no later than the last day of September. No applications will be accepted via fax or email. Typed application is preferred.
• Selection of grants will be completed within two months of the grant deadline.
• Organizations that received grant money the previous year will be considered after those organizations that did not.
• Upon approval for funding, appropriate notification will be issued along with acceptance information to be returned for issuance of the grant payment.
• Applicants not approved for funding will be so notified and may reapply for the same project at any time.
• If approved grant is one of several funding sources necessary to complete a project, payment may be delayed until assurance has been received that necessary funding has been secured.
• Grants are subject to review and approval by The Canal Society of Ohio, Inc. Trustees.
• Organizations are limited to one grant per 12-month period.
• Organizations receiving grants must submit a final report to The Canal Society of Ohio, Inc. indicating disposition of the grant funds. Grants awarded in the fall grant recipients must submit a final report by September of the following year. Failure to submit invalidates future funding.
APPLICATION PROCEDURE: (applications submitted without the required copies and supporting documents will not be considered)
• grant application form (prefer application be typed)
• basic budget statement for the proposed project or purchase
• Requesting organization’s most recent financial statement
• organization’s annual report or equivalent
• List of Governing Board members
Submit 1 copy of the organization’s letter of determination from the Internal Revenue Service certifying 501(c)(3) status or equivalent.
MAIL APPLICATION FORM AND ATTACHMENTS VIA POST OFFICE TO:
The Canal Society of Ohio, Inc.
Attn. Andy Hite
9845 North Hardin Road
Piqua, Ohio 45356
Copyright © Canal Society of Ohio. All rights reserved.